Sunday, July 6, 2014

Sweating Your Asana Off--Mat Cleaner

I have been practicing yoga for over a decade. That means my yoga mat has seen hundreds of down dogs and chaturangas. It has also seen major blood, sweat, and tears during my teacher training AND yes...dirty feet (my dirty feet mostly). I didn't clean my first yoga mat very often. (EEewww!). In my pitiful defense I am not a very sweaty yogi, but yes...gross none-the-less.

There was something awesome to me about coming onto my mat and seeing how hard I worked just by looking at the foot prints that were worn deep into the material. I also felt mat cleaners were expensive and I was (and still am) on a budget. The truth is anyone who is busting their "asana" on the mat should be cleaning it regularly.

(This is my first mat purchased at
for $14.99 11 years ago)

Sweating Your Asana Off--Mat Cleaner
2 cup water (distilled if possible)
2 Tbsp witch hazel astringent
20 drops of Tea Tree Oil (anti-fungle and anti-bacterial)
10 drops of your favorite essential oil ( I love lavender)
Mix and put into any spray or pump bottle you find at the dollar store. I like to keep a large spray bottle at home and carry a small travel size pump bottle in my bag for a quick spritz after class. Wipe with a soft cloth.


Play around with the scents and find one that you like. For an energizing fragrance try grapefruit or orange.

Enjoy!
Peace and Happiness,
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment